Thursday, April 05, 2012

Skyfall and Product Placements in Film


Now we know that when James Bond returns in Skyfall he will be drinking a Heineken. I have no idea if this means he will be eschewing his traditional martinis entirely or if the beer is a one-time only exception. What I do know is that this is going to drive some Bond purists crazy. And frankly, I am having trouble blaming them.

The deal Heineken struck to have their product featured in the film is hardly the first time that product placement has been used in films; Bond films in particular have been doing this for decades with watches, cars etc.. The problem here is that it just feels a little more invasive. When you’re fundamentally altering a character, especially a long running and revered character, you’re sort of asking for some blow back.

The question here, for me at least, is when is this sort of thing going to backfire? Product placements on television are so pervasive you probably don’t even notice them much anymore. But earlier this season when Subway interrupted Hawaii 5-O for what seemed like a 2 minute commercial viewers took to Twitter and YouTube to poke fun at it. It was the most invasive and clumsy product placement that I have ever seen. If that show wasn’t already a cheesy, steaming pile of poorly written shit I would say that anyone involved should be ashamed. But clearly these guys sold their “art” out long ago or they wouldn’t be cranking out this drivel. If this was a show with some reputation for being intelligent, witty or even respectably compelling I am confident the outrage meter would have spiked.

And that isn’t the only show guilty of hitting you in the face with a product placement. Bones has been shilling Toyota for a while now. At least with Bones the placement is handled a bit more delicately. Like having the car beep, Booth asking what that was and Bones explaining it was the Prius’ anti-collision system—and then the conversation is right back on track.

We’ve all seen these kinds of product placements. I don’t love them, but I understand why they exist. The problem is they seem to be escalating. Years ago it was enough to just have an actor wear a certain watch, drive a certain car or smoke a particular brand.

Today what we have is the product placement being woven into storylines. Breaking the action and now, with Skyfall,, changing the habits of decades old characters.

Video games don’t get off the hook either. There has been talk in recent years of, for example, having the billboards in game cities change now and then as new advertisers come into the picture. Since every gamer these days is online it’s easy to see how this would work. A simple update when you insert the game and you have a fresh set of ads right in the face of a coveted demographic.

My sense of this is that it will be self-correcting. As movies get a little more brazen with the product placements audiences will grow antsy. At the very least I assume we will wonder how this advertising windfall isn’t offsetting skyrocketing ticket prices or 3D rates.

Sooner or later a movie will go too far with it and the practice will be reigned in. I don’t know when but I hope it’s soon. For me the Skyfall intrusion is more than annoying. I am a longtime Bond fan and it just feels wrong to me. I know I have been getting close-ups of his brand of watches and his car brands in recent films, but none of that really changed the movie or the character. This one feels to me like it crossed a boundary of acceptability.

I would love to see what you all think. Leave your comments below.

No comments: