Thursday, May 04, 2006

Jack Black

Jack Black, alternating between hysterical and just not funny, is a classic case of a man that should pick his movies with a little more care. Try as I might, I just can't bring myself to look forward to Nacho Libre. Sorry, it just looks dumb. It reminds me of Adam Sandlers younger years where his movies struck me as unscripted chances for him to act like a dolt for 2 hours. However, when put into a movie that offered him some guidance and reigned him in, Sandler's genuinely funny.

Same with Black. I think he could be very funny and, if King Kong is a good example, perhaps even play a decent, well developed character that isn't all goofy antics.

I see that after Libre Black has been filming something called "Tenacious D: In The Pick Of Destiny."

The plot? 2 idiots form a band called Tenacious D and want to make the best band ever. How will they accomplish this? By subjecting us to a road trip in search of a magical guitar pick located in a rock museum 300 miles away. Why he signed on for this I have no idea. A little more discrimination and a little less School of Rock could really help him. Think Orange County!

Although I did spot a rumor on the awesome Aint It Cool News site that said Black was in talks to star in a move that sounds terrific. In the film Black's best friend would own a video store whose only customer was a senile old lady. Somehow Black's head becomes magnatized and he destroys all the movies in the store. So, he and his pal set out to remake the classic movies and hope that the old lady wont notice. Among the movies we get to see them remake will be, supposedly, Back to the Future and Jaws. This could be awesome, I can't wait to read more about it.

In my view Jack Black is at a critical stage in his career. A few horrible flops and he'll vanish. A few well chosen comedies that appeal to the over 12 set and I think he could just sky rocket. I think he has potential so lets hope Nacho Libre isn't the end of the line for him.

No comments: