Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Coming Soon

I would like to continue this bizarre list-making obsession of mine in soon to be posts! I think the next one, coming tomorrow or soon after, will be a list of my favorite directors. After that, I think I would like to explore my favorite movie soundtracks a bit. I'll give you a little preview....

I think the theme from Halloween remains the most simplistic and bone chilling theme I have ever heard in a horror film. It me be the most effective and functional theme ever. I also feel that the instrumental from St. Elmos Fire is a tremendous mood setting piece with the power to depress the audience a little and yet somehow get us ready for the redemption of the characters. It is melancholy and makes me want to reminisce for some reason. I always found that song to be poignant, sad and very powerful.

Directors you say? Well, sure to make the list are the Usual Suspect, Spielberg, Lucas, John Woo because he's fun and more. Check back later today, I promise you something!

Thanks to the reader who submitted his own top 10 list of films, I will try to comment on that later as well. Also thanks to the reader who appreciates the inclusion of Old Boy on my list of twists!

So much to do....I promised a review of Crash and you will get it! Also would like to look back at a forgotten film that is not on DVD and should be, a campy sci-fi movie called Night of the Comet. Someone please tell me who to contact to get this film on DVD!

Also, if you haven't read the most recent reviews they are: Walk The Line, Hostel and The Family Stone. Please scroll down and let me know what you think of them!

1 comment:

Keko said...

Top ten directors huh, I think that I'll comment on that even before you post you choices. How's that grab ya? ;-) Like all my list, these aren't in order...

1. Ron Howard. I don't really need to explain why do I?

2. Mel Gibson. All his movies are worth watching. Especially the ones that he directs.

3. James Cameron. Not only is he a great writer/director/concept artist, he pushes the technological envelope with every movie that he makes. However, unlike other people, he uses the technology to enhance his story and not for the sake of coolness. He is a great storyteller first and a gadgeteer second.

4. Steven Spielburg used to be great. I don't like his recent movies very much, but his record is too impressive to ignore.

5. Joss Whedon. He is the screenwriter and director of the movie Serenity, the TV series Firefly, Buffy the Vampire Slayer (3rd season), and Angel. A young highly talented man.

6. Alfred Hitchcock. If only he were still alive and making movies...

7. Martin Brest. The wrioter director of Meet Joe Black.

8. Roland Emmerich. His movies are fun.

9. Michael Bay. His movies are fantastic if you could just suspend you disbelief and leave your mind at home.

10. John Carpenter. He has made well over a dozen instant classics. Somehow, his movies always seems low budget, but they are always gripping and leave you wanting to watch more.