Friday, January 06, 2006

Dark Horse?



According to Critics Top 10, a website that assembles the top 10 lists of critics nationwide to form one big list, there seems to be a groundswell of support for a movie I am ashamed to say I did not see. Now, I wanted to see it, I can’t remember exactly why I missed it in the theaters, but I have thought many times since that I missed out on something.

The film I am talking about is called A History of Violence, directed by
David Cronenberg and starring Ed Harris. It’s appearing in the 2 and 3 slot on many of the most respected film critics’ lists.

I remember wanting to see it because I love Ed Harris. I think he is one of the most underrated actors of my time. He’s genuine, has great range, and never is guilty of overacting or accepting a role he just doesn’t fit. He has a sort of wry smile that often translates into a comical or whimsical scene that lesser actors would have ruined. To be sure, Harris can be edgy, he can look imposing when he needs to. I just love this guy. As a kid he captivated me in the Abyss, he made Milk Money watchable, dazzled me in Enemy at the Gates and even gave a terrific performance in the Rock, a movie that seems to inspire either love or hate in most people.

And Cronenberg, far from being an Academy regular, has made bizarre and twisted films a trademark for years. Dead Ringers, The Fly, Dead Zone, Scanners, Videodrome. The Brood and Peepshow come to mind. Now, there is no doubt that he’s talented and versatile, check out his credits and you’ll find he has been an actor, editor, cinematographer, director and writer. He’s even done a few televeision shows, among them the uninspired Friday the Thirteenth the Show.

I have to see this film. Rest assured that when I do I will come right back here and fill you all in!

No comments: