Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Reader Feedback

I am getting a lot of comments about my underrated movie list. It seems as though most of you agree with 99 percent of it, but there are 2 movies listed you just don't agree with. So, rather than concede defeat and remove them, I want to defend their inclusion on the list.

The movies in question are The Usual Suspects and Memento.

Now let me say one thing before I get going: The majority of those people writing to me seem to be hardcore film fans or major movie buffs. They are not absolutely representative of the public at large. I would expect fans like you to have seen and appreciate these films. What I am proposing is that the public at large (your average everyday fan) might have missed these movies. In fact, when talking about films with the general fan I never, ever, hear these movies mentioned. In the domain of public discourse these movies never turn up.

Now, I understand that these movies have been veiwed and voted on a number of times at IMDB. But to be fair, it's likely hard core movie fans going to that site and voting, so I don't know how much weight I should give that. And yes, it's also true that these directors got a boost in terms of their careers on the heels of these films, but just because your own industry recognizes your talent does not mean the general public does. I mean, how many people (other than fans like us) even know who directed these movies?

In theaters The Usual Suspects opened with a less than 1 million dollar weekend. It took in 1.2 million total before foreign release and DVD sales. Not exactly a blockbuster now was it? And why not? Lack of critical acclaim? No, they liked it. Lack of faith in critical opinions among the public? I believe so. Please see the glowing reviews of the craptastic Family Stone for proof that critics are experiencing a severe disconnect with the general movie-going public.

Memento fared much better in the box office after a very slow start in limited release. IMDB reports an opening weekend of less than 300,000 dollars in limited release. Overall take is reported at a little more than 25 million. Not bad; not exactly setting records either. This film could have done much better than that.

I maintain my opinion that these movies are undervalued. Recognition within the film industry of the people involved and some votes on IMDB does not change my mind. I never hear anyone talk about these movies. I never hear them mentioned in critical circles nor do I see them listed anywhere other than on obscure movie sites.

That's my story and I am sticking to it. Keep the comments coming, let me know if you bought any of that staunch defense!

No comments: