Monday, January 09, 2006

New Harrison Ford Movie



Firewall



I just got to see the trailer for the new Harrison Ford movie called Firewall.
. I can’t wait for this movie. I love Harrison Ford, he’s got that screen presence that you are either born with or you just don’t have. This guy is a once in a lifetime actor, we’ll just never see the likes of him again. As his career as an action star and hunky leading man dwindles toward the end I fully intend to appreciate every last piece of work this guy puts out.

I love that after dozens of action flicks Ford can still play the reluctant hero in nearly every movie he makes—and have us believe it. I love the wide-eyes “I can’t believe I just did that” look he still gets after punching the bad guy. Every time he plays such a hero he still convinces us it’s the very first time he’s thrown a punch. He still makes the audience believe he’s that guy that didn’t know what he was made of until a crisis forced him to act. Like he’s winging each and every piece of action in every movie. His characters are never all that sure of themselves and rarely filled with that predictable tough guy swagger that would be the lazy actors tool for many of his roles.

He’s still got that incredibly commanding voice, the one that let’s each one of his movies have a line that we can all remember. He’s still got that quirky smile that can put just the right touch of levity in each film he makes. Ford is clearly one of the best and most entertaining actors that I will ever get to see on the big screen. I am thrilled to hear he’s making one last Indiana Jones movie and I am equally excited about Firewall.

Equally exciting is that it’s directed by a guy that’s had some excellent work in the recent past and that’s Richard Loneraine. He’s the man responsible for the vastly underrated romantic comedy Wimbledon and he also directed and episode of the critically acclaimed Band of Brothers (he did Part 2 “Day of Days).

This movie also resurrects some names I haven’t seen in a while, including Virginia Madsen who will star as Fords wife, and Alan Arkin who I haven’t seen in a long time.

The plot isn’t all that complex, as I see it, but I am sure there’s more to it. Ford doesn’t usually agree to films with crappy plot lines. Basically, Harrison Ford plays a security expert that has designed a high-tech security system for a large global bank. When his family is kidnapped Ford is forced to break into said bank and provide the villains with a huge ransom for his family. Naturally Ford looks for a way to thwart the kidnappers without implicating himself for embezzlement. It should be interesting—I know I will be in line for it on opening day!

No comments: